My first successful pie crust ever! I’m so excited.
This savory crust has great texture and a nutty flavor from buckwheat.
100 grams buckwheat flour (~1/2 cup, heaped)
160 grams AP flour (~1.5 cups, heaped)
1 egg yolk
1 Tbspn fresh thyme
1 tspn salt
1/2 tspn freshly ground black pepper
1 stick (4 oz) butter, cold, cut into Tablespoons
3-4 Tbspn water
1. Place all the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse to mix.
2. Add the butter and 3 Tbsp water to start with, and pulse just until a dough begins to form. Add more water if needed.
2. Remove the pastry dough from the food processor, work the dough a little if crumbly, form into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap or parchment paper and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
4. Roll out the pastry crust to roughly the size of your pan. Place dough in pan and prick the bottom of the crust with a fork.
5. Optional: Brush the bottom of the crust with egg.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry just begins to turn golden. (The original recipe says to cover it with foil, but I left it uncovered).
6. Remove from the oven and let cool.