Almond cream can be used in between cake layers, as pastry filling, or as a topping.
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, RT
2/3 c. sugar
3/4 c. ground almonds (blanched almonds were recommended, but I didn’t have any)
2 tsp. AP Flour
1 tsp cornstarch
1 large egg
2 tsp. dark rum or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
(Directions are for food processor, but can be done by hand as well using a whisk or spatula).
1. Put butter and sugar in food processor and process until until mixture is smooth and satiny.
2. Add ground almonds and continue to process until well-blended.
3. Add flour and cornstarch and process to blend.
4. Add the egg, then process until cream is homogenous.
5. Add rum or vanilla and pulse to blend.
6. Cream can be used immediately, or refrigerated until firm (~2 hours). (I made it ahead of time and refrigerated overnight; I let it warm at RT until I could stir it easily and easily spread it without tearing the brioche up).